explaining Pitch raise....

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:54:05 EDT

In a message dated 10/24/00 2:31:10 PM, mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

<< when pianos

have not been tuned for a period of time, the strings stretch over the years

and the piano slowly drops to a lower pitch >>

Is this true?  Pardon my inexperience/ignorance for even asking the question,
but I've often wondered exactly what happens when a piano goes flat.  If
indeed the strings continue to stretch over the years, wouldn't the coils
around the tuning pins on an old piano grow?  Wouldn't there be eventually be
four coils around the pin?  Or is it just that it's such a minute amount of
stretching that it doesn't visibly show on the tuning pin?

I've thought that maybe the pin just slips back a bit over time.  But then it
wouldn't make sense that the pin would continue to slip back farther and
farther, making the piano flatter and flatter as will happen on a piano that
hasn't been tuned in a LONG time.

Tom S.