SD-10 Problem

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:14:17 EDT

Hi, Kevin,

There may be two related problems here.  Any piano used for performance or
heavy practice use will develop string deterioration.  The treble wire
flattens on the front termination bar. This can develop in just a few years
on a new performance piano.  It happens on the older Yamahas, Baldwins,
Steinways with any regular, solid playing.

The first rendition of the SD-10 had a capo design with the termination bars
which further exacerbated the problem because a its superhard surfaces.  The
later SD-10 had a front termination bar which was redesigned in several wys,
with individual sections per string, I believe, and a duplex tuning which was
finetuned to reduce extraneous frequencies (a la Conklin's theory about
detuned duplex scaling).  The hardness was also changed to be less damaging
to the string and increase the string's ability to "grab" the termination
points, I believe.  Del can give you the real details on this.

I have successfully rotated the string around a few mm and dramatically
improved the situation.  This should be done wholesale, even starting in the
high agraffe section.  On a single run of string with two speaking lengths,
turn back one pin and pull up the other to reposition the string on the
termination points.  I was pleased to see this in a detailed article in a
recent Journal.  It's a little ugly, but the trade-off is worth it.  Of
course, if the piano was breaking strings too, it is definitely time for new
wire.  Hope this staves of the Grim Reaper a little longer -

We miss you in the Pomona Valley Chapter!

Bill Shull, RPT

In a message dated 10/24/00 10:57:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time,