explaining Pitch raise....

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 21:23:42 -0400

>I'm wondering if the best way to explain a pitch raise to a customer, is to
>NOT bring it up in the first place..at least not over the phone when your
>making initial contact.
>Terry Peterson
>Associate Member PTG
>Los Angeles, CA

Terry,

If there's a question regarding pitch over the phone (and there usually is), I get out my trusty Sanderson Accu-Fork and ask them to play the "a" if they can find it. It's pretty easy to slide the point to zero vibrations (unisons aside) and quote a price on pitch adjustments at $1. per ¢ based on the scale on the Accu-Fork. They can hear the fork and you can hear their "a".

Fifty cents off is fifty dollars more on the bill if they want A440.

If I don't have the fork handy, I'll often quote 70 per cent of my tuning fee as a "minimum", adding that it could be more.  $100. might scare them but $70. (with the expectation of more) will get you the booking.

One thing to bear in mind. Price shoppers are usually those who haven't had service in many a year (often a junky piano) or those who have moved from another area and are still in shock at LA pricing.

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, Ontario