HT Experience

Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:30:23 +0200

Ok boys and girls. I tuned my first HT today. The Young Villotti, on a Yamaha LU
series upright. Posted a note on the door that I would keep it like this for some
weeks forward and encouraged all students and teachers to experiment and experience
it.

As for my own reactions. A couple things came to mind right away. First this
continuing discussion about the Reverse Well.  Ok... there are obviously degrees
involved here. Because I can tell you the Young Villotti was so very very obviously
not an ET tuning that you would have to be completely useless as a tuner if you
could not notice the difference after playing this for a bit... if not like within
a few seconds really. With this in mind I would suspect that the Reverse Well
disscussion is somewhat an over driven point, curious enough in its own right.. but
I cant imagine this phenomena resulting in a tuning that is so removed from ET as
what I tuned today was. Either that or something is very seriously wrong indeed
with how we decide what comprises a tuning that is good enough to pass the RPT
test, and frankly I doubt things could get that out of hand.

I must say tho I liked very much the resulting tuning. It was very different, and
certain chords, intervals, keys.. etc etc.. were of course too discordant to be at
all pleasing. Yet those that were, were indeed beautiful to listen to in a
completly un-accustomed to manner. It is easy indeed to imagine a composer with
these tonal parameters at hand utilizing the different kinds of effects different
beat rates create for what in ET are essentially the same intervals,, chords...
what have you. In ET a major third is indeed a major third in a sense that simply
is not the case in the Young Villotti. Some of these "major thirds" indeed approach
distances that would require another lable.. as in diminished fourth.. or perhaps
even an augmented minor third if you get my meaning.

The piano itself reacted well to this temperament in the sense that I got no
feeling at all that this modern instrument was unsuitable in any fashion whatsoever
to being tuned in this fashion... quite the opposite really. It sounded quite nice
indeed.

I will keep you all posted as to the responses I get from the different students
and teachers as the next few days and weeks pass. This is an interesting adventure,
one that I can recommend to one and all.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.

PS... The tuning was accomplished by use of the RCT historic tuning library. I
followed along with the recipie given in Owens book. Wanted to do it this way the
first couple times to get a feel for how it basically should sound. Will let my ear
take over when I feel comfortable enough with the aural temperament routine.