Capstan Relocation

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:29:59 EDT

In a message dated 10/23/00 7:14:12 AM Central Daylight Time, Ron Overs
writes:
<< Ron N responded to Bill's above statement;

 >It should, but since these described arcs in his action are so much more
 >nearly tangent (as near as is geometrically possible) the effect would be
 >minimal. Then again... Hey Ron

 Yes?

 >in an action like yours, if the jack was
 >backstopped by a relatively light, short range spring instead of a
 >relatively firm felt, wouldn't the jack ride the knuckle through the entire
 >range of movement, deflecting and rolling rather than sliding, and produce
 >very nearly zero friction until letoff?

 It probably would, but I suspect that the load on the spring might
 still cause a counteracting load to be placed on the knuckle (as it
 also will with the felt), which would oppose the rise of the hammer
 shank.

 >I know you've already got very
 >nearly zero friction there
 >but I was wondering if you or anyone else has
 >tried this, or seen it anywhere? The closer the contact point to the
 >hammer/wippen center line, the better the result, and the less it would be
 >necessary.

 Its interesting that you should ponder over further possibilities.
 While I had a couple of other ideas lurking around in my head (not
 the particular one you mentioned), I opted for a more standard layout
 (ie. incorporating a standard knuckle in the form of a roller) which
 might cause less controversy in the technical community.

 >Oh well, sorry to butt in. Just pondering the physics a little.

 You both (Ron N and Bill) seem to be pretty much on the mark - your
 pondering was welcome. It was good to read your contributions at the
 end of my Monday here in Sydney. I'm looking forward to some of the
 Reno bar-room discussions already.

 Regards,

 Ron Overs
 - --
 Overs Pianos
 Sydney Australia >>

This is a fascinating discussion, especially in the number of people joining
in.

Does it occur to anyone that Ron N. and Ron O. are more alike than we might
have guessed?  Scary thought, isn't it????

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL