Choosing Steinway D

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 12:10:09 -0500

on 10/6/00 11:52 PM, Richard Moody at remoody@midstatesd.net wrote:

>> I am dealing with a new D like this now. Came in with keydip way over "spec",
>> blow distance way under "spec", and if one lowers the hammer line, then the
>> back of the hammer felts rebound against the backchecks way before the shanks
>> could get down to the cushions.
>>
>> Kent Swafford
>>
> Wild guess, more for education than edification.  The  hammers came out of the
> cauls too fat?   ---ric

I put off responding until after the inaugural concert on this piano, which
was last night. It went well. I had expressed some concern to the powers
that be concerning the time it would take to prepare the piano for this
concert; the reply came back that the preparation shouldn't take very much
time since the piano was brand new. (!)

Action problems tend to be combinations of effects ganging up with each
other rather than single problems. There is no reason to think these hammers
are any different from any other Steinway hammers. However, your question,
ric, is still a correct one -- even if these hammers are not "fatter" than
normal, you can't really say the hammers are not too fat because, after the
hammers were trimmed down, the action works fine. See my reply to Ed Foote.