HT Experience

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 12:01:41 EDT

In a message dated 10/22/00 9:27:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
cedel@supernet.com (Clyde Hollinger) writes:

<< I know my next sentence is likely to fuel the flame of a fire I'm getting
tired
 of reading about, but I think it was Bill Bremmer who said something like:  A
 lot of aural tuners *think* they are tuning ET when in fact they are probably
 tuning (I forget what).  I often think about that.  Bill, I hope I didn't
 misquote you; feel free to respond. >>

Yes, Clyde, you are right about that.  Back in 1980, I learned to use some of
the aural techniques which took my own aural tuning from below the current
RPT standards to a high enough standard to not only qualify as an RPT but to
train as an Examiner.  It was another 10 years before I actually became
certified, mostly because until I got an SAT and learned how to use it, I
could not administer the Exam efficiently.

Over the years, I have listened to the results of many, many tuners.  It is
rare that anyone scores a perfect 100 on the temperament.  Even one error of
1 cent produces an audible *inequality* in the temperament.  This makes the
temperament *almost* or "Quasi" equal, as the class of temperaments which are
very close to, but not quite equal are called.  In Owen Jorgensen's big red
book, there is, in fact, a temperament which is exactly the same as ET except
that one note, the "C" is sharpened by 1 cent.  This makes the Ab-C 3rd beat
faster and the C-E 3rd beat more gently.  There are others which have only 2
or 3 one-cent deviations.

Now, for the people who complain that this discussion is endless and
repetitive, it still seems necessary to answer these questions and clarify
points continuously.  I am not the one who brought this up.  Each time I do,
however, I immediately get the response that if such an error is made with an
HT, then it must have the same altering and nullifying effect.  Each time,
that assertion has been answered and the fact is that small errors of the
kind which nullify the state of equality do *not* alter the basic idea and
sound produced by a typical Meantone or Well-Tempered Tuning.

Having been trained by PTG itself to examen other people's tuning, it became
my usual practice to listen to what is on a piano before I begin to tune it.
Now, of course, I expect the piano I am tuning not to be in good tune,
otherwise I would not be asked to do it and taking that into account, I still
have found and continue to find, nearly every day, a remarkably high
incidence of temperaments which are roughly or even quite exactly the
opposite of a typical Well-Tempered Tuning.

Although I did not coin the term, Reverse Well, it is the term I use to
identify this common error.  I have encountered it nearly every where I go.
The tuner who is the house tuner (a non-Member) for the Civic Center here in
Madison and who tunes for the many prominent artists who come here to perform
*always* and consistently tunes in Reverse Well and has done so for a good 20
years.  In my estimation, his tuning would not qualify at RPT level both in
temperament and octaves but he does tune good unisons.  Who knows if the
artists are really satisfied with these tunings or not?  I suspect they
largely are because they probably hear much the same thing in many other
places and just accept it as being within the normal range of what they
encounter.  It is not ET but it is considered to be and is certainly
*believed* to be by the person who does it.

I frequently get as new cutomers and listen to new pianos which come from
stores in Milwaukee and Chicago as well as from other areas.  They are
*always* in Reverse Well.  I often know who the tuner is and it is often an
RPT.  It is entirely possible to pass the RPT Exam while tuning a Reverse
Well Temperament.  You don't have to really tune ET to pass that exam.  You
can have as much as 8 cents worth of errors and still pass.  With 8 cents to
work with, you can really get pretty *unequal* and still pass.  In fact, it
is even possible to pass at a score of a perfect 100 and still produce a
mildly unequal temperament and yes, even one which is the opposite of a
Well-Tempered Tuning, Reverse Well.

So, I have come to regard the idea of ET as Standard Practice and the only
worthy goal in tuning as merely ideology.  In other words, it's only a
concept, it only works on paper. It's really only theoretical and not very
practical at all.  So, all of those who get up in arms about what they
consider to be Standard Practice or questions of ethical practices seem about
as ridiculous and offbeat to me as those who espouse some offbeat religious
or political philosophy.

I don't believe the subject of Temperament is going to go away.  To address
points made in a couple of other posts, brass and wind instruments made today
are capable of ET about as closely as today's typical tuners are.  Yes, ET
may be the intent and the goal, but the *lip* has to take over where other
limitations fall short.  ET is not the *end* of the evolutionary process of
temperament.  People who do not want to read what is in these discussions
should simply delete them.  Saying that you are tired of reading about HT's
but copying these remarks to the very list that was formed as a way of
escaping this discussion does not make sense.

There were lots of topics and repetition of ideas that I used to see repeated
by those who left to join the MPT list that I disliked reading too.  I do not
like to see the term "PSO" and for nearly every piano ever made to be
condemned as unworthy of existence.  I do not like to see personal opinions
represented dogmatically as fact.  So, we all have our preferences, our likes
and dislikes.  This is a free and open list, so I think it can be expected
that people will express their opinions and back them up with their knowledge
and experience.  Everyone has the right to believe whatever they want to
believe and to reject ideas which do not support their set of beliefs.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin