Capstan Relocation

Chris Gregg cgregg@cadvision.com
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 12:30:27 -0600

Ron,
	The Capstan on your action is tilted about twenty degrees to towards the
front of the key.  It looks correct on your action, but most capstans that
I see tilted actions are tilted towards the rear of the key.  Most modern
actions seem to have the capstans perpendicuar to the key.   I imagine that
the radius on top of the capstan is going to account for some of the loss
of friction, but at what point would you start tilting action heels and
capstans on an action?

>The wippen heel and capstan has been rearranged to allow the axis of
>the capstan to lie perpendicular to the line of centers at half key
>dip (ease of capstan adjustment is quite OK once you get used to it).
>This minimises the pressure on the heel cloth and the wippen flange
>center for a slight efficiency improvement. As with the jack/roller
>contact, the capstan/wippen heel contact lies on the line of centers
>at half travel between rest and let-off.

Chris Gregg
 http://www.cadvision.com/cgregg