Compressor (was Pin torque..)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:05:54 -0400

Hi Patricia. I just bought a compressor a couple months ago.

The immediate need was to run Bill Spurlock's little die grinder for
shimming a soundboard. I did a bit of research before I bought to see what
the requirements of some common tools I might use are. I purchased what I
believe to be just a bit (small bit) larger than absolutely necessary. I
bought a Sears Crudsman advertised as 6HP and supplying 6.4 scfm @ 90psi,
and creates a maximum pressure of 135 lbs. The size of tank doesn't really
matter, it just lets the compressor shut off for longer if you don't have
the thing maxed out. Mine has a 30 gallon tank. So far I have used it for
the grinder and cooling a pin block drill bit. Works great for both. Shuts
off for breif periods with the grinder, and runs constantly when I cool the
drill bit with 90 psi (but it does stay at 90 psi). I think I paid $300 for
it (maybe it was $200 - I forget). I see the air hammer Del mentioned needs
80-120 psi and 2-4 cfm.

There are apparently two types of electric compressors (at least). The (what
I call) old fashioned type - the only type I used to see. It will have an
electric motor separate from the compressor cylinder and will have a belt
for the motor to drive the compressor (in my boatbuilding days I had one of
these and it was relatively quiet - no real need for hearing protection).
The other type - the kind I bought because this type is much less
expensive - has the electric motor directly coupled to the compressor. I'm
not certain of all the advantages and disadvantages, but if I were to do it
again - I would spend the extra bucks and get one of the same general
capacity, but one with the belt. The belt provides a way to reduce
compressor rpm. The belt type are MUCH QUIETER. And I would imagine last
longer because the compressor is not going at 258 bazillion rpm. But, the
direct coupled units are bunches cheaper (like about 2/3 the price or maybe
even less). IF YOU GET ONE LIKE MINE BE SURE TO BUY HEARING PROTECTION - DID
YOU HEAR ME?

That's my opinion. I could be wrong.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service