Yamaha voicing...and the famous Newton!

William J Schlipf wjstuner@juno.com
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 06:20:37 -0500

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:08:07 -0500 Richard Oliver Snelson
<rsnelson@dave-world.net> writes:
> The piano is Yamaha C3.. Piano teacher has it in a very small room.
> The
> piano sounds exactly as you would expect. Too loud..
>
> Newton and I voiced it down (needle) a bit when he was here in
> Central
> Ill. Aside from installing different hammers to make it not sound
> like a
> Yamaha. What do you suggest? I have experience with steam voicing.
> Controlled, using a wet cloth and a electric hammer iron. I'm
> reluctant
> because of the discussion that went on here a few weeks, months ago
> about not steaming Yamaha hammers. Teacher is willing to spring for
> different hammers. This would get me piano lessons for the next
> couple
> of years.. She is a good friend. Newton was stuck by her and I'm
> sure
> would come back in a heart beat to install them also. Down boy!
>
> Your help please,
> Rich
Rich,  I would let Newton come back, service the piano, whatever it takes
to please your teacher, and maybe in the process he can please himself
too.  Everyone's happy!!
Did you get that cordless Dremel?  I would use it to needle thru the side
where Newton put the center pin as well as under each offensive string.
It means a lot of in and out with the stack.  I'll bet you can do it.
If Newton comes back, let me know.  I'd take more of knowledge anytime,
as would most.

Bill Schlipf
Bloomington, IL

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!