HT Experience

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:14:01 EDT

Clyde writes:
<<<< HTs have gotten a lot of discussion the last couple years.  So are we on
the edge of abandoning ET as the "normal standard" in favor of something else
like the Valotti Young you mentioned? >>>>

Greetings,
    I don't know that anything is getting abandoned right now.  It seems more
like an additive process, more and more tuners are now able to offer more
than one way to tune a piano, and the market for the wider choice is growing.
How fast and how far?  I don't know,  but I would expect it to be a
long-ranging evolution.
   A point I will repeat is that throughout history, intonation has changed.
These changes,to a large degree, are driven by technology.  Large changes in
intonation often follow hard on the heels of some new instrument or
knowledge.  It has been so for a long time and I expect that to continue.
Thus, ET will be joined by its historical brethren and pianos,as a whole,
will sport a new allure.  At least, that's the way I could idealize the whole
thing........
    The advent of the computer has had enormous implications in the electonic
instrument fields, but pianos, with the modern tuning machines making the
current research easy to implement, are being tuned by increasing numbers of
multi-temperament technicians.  I know that musicians are finding the
alternatives to the norm worth paying for.
   I also think ET will be the standard for comparison for a while.
Regards,
Ed Foote