Yamaha voicing...and the famous Newton!

Douglasmahard@AOL.COM Douglasmahard@AOL.COM
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:14:26 EDT

In a message dated 10/19/2000 5:56:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rsnelson@dave-world.net writes:

<< The piano is Yamaha C3.. Piano teacher has it in a very small room. The
 piano sounds exactly as you would expect. Too loud..

 Newton and I voiced it down (needle) a bit when he was here in Central
 Ill. Aside from installing different hammers to make it not sound like a
 Yamaha. What do you suggest? I have experience with steam voicing.
 Controlled, using a wet cloth and a electric hammer iron. I'm reluctant
 because of the discussion that went on here a few weeks, months ago
 about not steaming Yamaha hammers. Teacher is willing to spring for
 different hammers. This would get me piano lessons for the next couple
 of years.. She is a good friend. Newton was stuck by her and I'm sure
 would come back in a heart beat to install them also. Down boy!

 Your help please,
 Rich >>

Hi Rich,

I would try some simple things first like putting foam up under the piano
between the frame braces, or tacking some type of material to the under side
of the rim.  These effectively lower volume levels.  Is the room live?
Perhaps some type of material hung on the wall to absorb sound.
An Edward's String Cover with foam laid across it, with the lid down would
knock off the db's too.

Then again, Newton could use the excitement.

Sincerely,

Doug Mahard