HT Experience

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 04:50:39 EDT

Roger writes:
<<
Two concert grands, one tuned in ET, the other in Volatti Young
The piece, the first two movements of Beethoven's Pathetique.
The Volatti Young won the vast majority of votes. Surprised the heck out of
me.

     Greetings,
   That is good news, Roger.  I think it points up the fact that the equally
out of tune temperament we used in the 20th century leaves something out of
the music, and that something is often found to be harmony in the strictest
physical sense.  People today respond to that.

>>The down side, I've been asked back, to do a three piano comparison. Mean
tone, HT and ET
Any suggestions on piece selection, I'm looking to show the widest contrast.<<

    We used Mozart's KV385 on our recording for exactly this demo.  I will
caution you that the Meantone will destabilize some of the inharmonic notes.
If it was possible to use a harpsichord for meantone, you may be able to make
the point without creating a problem for the piano. (we restrung our concert
piano here at Vanderbilt after our recording sessions last summer, so I
wasn't too concerned with the agraffe damage or string stability
afterwards......

>>Thank's to Ed Foote for pointing me in this direction, and giving me enough
guts to try it.
Such a great class in Arlington Ed.>>

      Thank you for the plug , Roger. The real progress has been made between
you and your clientele.  As I said before,  change is a requirement for
growth, and growth is necessary for life.  The kudos really goes to you for
being intrepid enough to push your horizons and introduce the public to how
much more a piano technician can be.  I encourage everybody to continue their
own harmonic investigation whenever possible.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT