Different question about heater bars

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:07:31 -0400

Hi Clyde. "I'm pretty sure I heard a Dampp-Chaser representative say getting
enough dehumidifying power is a challenge as it is." I wonder if you could
expand on this. I am very interested. I commonly put MUCH more wattage than
I commonly see recommended in my installations. I have 200 watts under my 5"
10" grand, of course controlled by the humidistat. After much monitoring, I
found that with only 100 watts installed, if the room humidity was up around
75% RH, the system would never turn off (I have a dry calibration humidistat
that turns on and off around 48% RH) and RH would decrease to around 55%,
but not lower (I have monitored the performance of at least 10 regular
calibration humidistats and  I have observed them usually cycling on and off
around 55 to 65% RH). I upped the wattage to 200W and now even with a room
RH of 75%, the RH under the soundboard will go down to the upper 40s RH and
the system will cycle on and off. There should never be a problem with lots
of power (of course, no need to put more wattage than needed for the desired
RH drop) IF the system is controlled by a humidistat.

If the dehumidier does not turn off, the system is underpowered for that
humidistat calibration. Put the hydrometer inside the piano at the
humidistat to monitor the system performance. It's educational. Also, it
helps to plug a 120 Volt clock into the same humidistat outlet as the heater
bar to monitor system cycling.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida