Capstan Relocation

Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:48:29 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> Nothing drastic. MY wife would like it to feel lighter if possible and more
> even. That is why I am pursuing the Stanwood touchweight thing. I am trying
> to learn where one can go with an action - Especially one that is not all
> that bad to start with. I want to know what are the limits of custom
> modification of touchweight. I am not trying to fix anything that is broken.
> I am trying to make my action perform for my wife like no other action can.
> I want it to be the most fabulous action she has ever had the pleasure to
> play on.

Ahh... well this is a bit easier then isnt it ?? You can start off your venture
and accomplish alot of towards these goals without getting too complicated all
at the same time.

1. Make sure the spread is really good, and just a bit on the wide side if at
all off dead center. Make it as close to dead center as you can tho.

2. Use your present Down / Up weight figures and decide how much lighter you
want this to be in general. Remove 1 gram of felt/wood from the hammers for
every 5-5.5 grams Downweight you want to loose. While you are doing this use
your Stanwood kit to evenly graduate the Strikeweights of the Hammers to conform
to this general change.

If you, at the end of this find you still need a lighter, yet firmer feel...
then perhaps you might begin to seriously look at your leverage.

This will give you a good start Terry, and let you begin to get the
understanding of the seemingly  zillions of interelating factors that are
present in what to the initiated looks to be a pretty simple thing... the grand
action.

I am on my first capstan replacement job now... Took me 4 actions... looking at
them dinking around with spreads.. sending strikeweight and such measurements to
the list.. hours and hours with an action model... reading this and that and
plaguing the heck out of a couple "list friends" before I decided finally to go
ahead. I am dead sure I am on target with this job, and that the capstan move
will accomplish exactly what I want it to do. AND... I know for sure I am going
to gain even more insight as I go through this process.

My advice is to start off with something you already can hang onto... see what
it does and keep your eyes open for some of the things you want to understand
better as you go. Next time through go a bit deeper.

Keep us informed of what you end up doing... its great to see the learning
process in action... one of the greatest teachers there are actually...

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.