Sagging pinblock

William J Schlipf wjstuner@juno.com
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:19:55 -0500

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:17:22 -0400 nhunt@jagat.com (Newton Hunt) writes:
> Hi Bill,
>
> Good to se you again so soon.
>
> I would tighten the plate screws in the middle section then
> use a pinblock jack to put pressure on the block and see if
> you can get the screws to move again.  It may well be the
> block and plate are mated together under the webbing of the
> plate but they may not be.  I had a S&S D once that had this
> problem and it would NOT stay in tune long.  Tightened the
> screws and it was much more stable.
>
> Care must be taken and a lot of thought given to the
> possibility of the plate cracking.
>
> Also, if it ain't broke don' fixit.
>
> 		Newton

Hi back Newton,   I did try to tighten screws all the way around the
plate.  Everything was tight.  Did not try jack the block however.
Tuning stability is not really an issue here.  The instrument holds
fairly well for being without climate control system and servicing only
once per year.  I noticed this when adjusting let-off in the bass.  I
agree with "if it ain't broke..............   I have a small Sterrett pin
block jack so I will give it a go, but gently!
Thanks for the response!  Have a happy!!  (that gives you a lot of
leeway)

Bill Schlipf
Bloomington, IL

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!