Recent Petrof quality - NEED ANSWER SOON

Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:49:40 +0200

Course anytime you ask such a question you are going to get varying answers. My
take on Petrofs should be well known to listees.. But to repeat...

Soundwise ... nice rounded full bodied tone... but often as not plauged by
unneccessary false beats due to workmanship concerns. Bass strings could be much
improved upon, bridge pins, capmaterial and workmanship on placement of
bridgepins is another common Petrof problem. Action could be much better put
together... but this latter is something a field tech can often accomplish a lot
with. I have also noticed many times that pinblock workmanship / installation is
not at all up to par in far to many cases. All and all tho.. an ok buy
considering the competition in this price range.

I get ticked at Petrof primarily because they have potential to create a much
much better instrument then they do, and much of the reason they do not appears
to be shoddy workmanship in areas that a factory should have little or no reason
for not improving upon.

Another thing about Petrofs... they vary greatly from instrument to instrument.
Get a "good" Petrof and you probably will be very happy with it. Get a "lemon"
and you will not be so happy.

In anycase... you probably would be wise to have a Dampchaser system installed to
help stabilize the instrument, and be prepared for more service calls then you
might expect on instruments of higher quality.

No question tho... basic sound picture these pianos have is pleasing enough.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.