Sohmer

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 21:52:56 -0500

>...All he knows is that he can't use
>it when the weather changes!Thanks to all who commented in a constructive
>manor concerning more aggresive climate control...
>Grin,--- respectfully Tom Driscoll.

More input for your gathering.

I regularly service 24 1983 Sohmer studio pianos in a university
practice hall.  It is an excellent piano in touch and tone and durability
for its size category.

Installing Climate Control Systems by Dampp-Chaser and regular maintenance
on the systems has made all the difference in stability during the changing
seasons on these piano.

Some additional info, maybe relevant for your situation, maybe not:
Tuning can be tricky, but not because of pinblock tightness, but rather too
close tolerances in some of the tuning pin areas, making it difficult to
render the strings.

The tuning pins are not necessarily spaced accurately in the pinblock
causing the strings to rub against their neighbor strings.  The strings are
bunched up against one another.  So when you have finished putting one
string in tune and go to the adjust the next tuning pin, the string
disturbs the one you have just finished.  And vice versa.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild