Manufacturer University Deals

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:48:01 -0500

Wim:

The ethics depends on the dealer.  We have had a loan program at SMU since
1993 with Baldwin.  The sale is held at the Baldwin dealer's store.  They
are very up front about every aspect of the sale and our use of the pianos.
 Baldwin has been incredibly good to work with.  With the sale at the
dealership there's no intimation that the university is selling the pianos.
 The local dealer even sends a tuner to campus to give us the 1st free
tuning.

dave

cedel@supernet.com
>writes:
>
><< Friends,
>
> I'd like more information on these university sales.  They are advertised

>here
> from time to time as a way to save lots of bucks buying a piano that is
used
>only
> one year.  I've always considered them suspect.  Would some of you like
> educate me?  Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Clyde Hollinger
>  >>

>In St. Louis the Steinway/Baldwin has all the major universities lined up
>hold "university sales, about 4 or 5 times a year. From all accounts, they

>are very successful. The last, several weekend ago, reportedly sold 85
>pianos.
>
>Although as technicians these sales are great, in that over 250 new pianos

>are brought on the market, in reality, they are a rip off for the
consumer.
>The dealer advertises that pianos "used by the university music
department"
>are on sale at "tremendous" savings. As a side note it is mentioned that
>"other" pianos are also available.
>
>All but about 5 or 6 pianos sold are brand new. Yet somehow the consumer
is
>duped into thinking they buying a piano "used" by the university. On top
of
>that, some of them are even led to believe the university is getting some
of
>the proceeds. Many customers who have bought these pianos at university
sales
>actually thought they bought the piano from the university.
>
>The sale prices on these instruments are only slightly below MSRP, but do
not
>include moving or a tuning. In fact, most are not even prepped.
>
>Maybe I am jealous that another dealer is taking away business, but even
>before I was a piano dealer, I didn't think the sales were very ethical.
>
>Willem

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net
Meadows School of the Arts