Capstan Relocation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 11:58:35 -0400

I am evaluating relocation of the capstan line on my Boston grand because
the wippen heel cushion/capstan contact point lies well below the "magic
line" between the wippen center pin and the key bottom at the center rail
pin. At full key depression, the contact point comes just up to the magic
line.

I made a little adjustable capstan that I can slide back and forth along the
key to search for the "sweet spot", as defined by Bob Hohf in his recent PTG
Journal articles as the capstan location where downweight is least and
upweight is greatest. Moving the capstan toward the center rail key pin will
increase action efficiency (Why does there seem to be no trade-off? Am I
missing something?). Lets say I move it 10 mm toward the center rail pin (I
know, that's alot - just an example), up and downweight is more favorable
and the contact point crossed the magic line at half its travel - Perfect!
But, I could, for the sake of arguement, install a taller wippen heel, lower
the capstan, and move it even further toward the center rail pin, thus
increasing action efficiency even more while keeping the heel/capstan
contact point right on the magic line at half key depression. What limits me
from doing this? Key thickness? (I hope there is something else!) Common
sense (or what I perceive to be) certainly suggests that I leave good enough
alone, but I want, er a, need, to understand the what and why. What? Why?
Anyone?  ?-)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida