Two Questions in One Post

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:24:32 EDT

In a message dated 10/13/00 7:46:47 AM Central Daylight Time, Ray@Bentley.net
(Ray T. Bentley) writes:

<< First, I saw a recommendation from Ed Foote concerning the Valotti
Temperament.  The RCT has a conversion to a temperament called Valotti-Young.
 I have tuned this one before for a demonstration sponsored by the St. Louis
Chapter last winter.  Are these temperaments one and the same?  I have seen
or heard them referred to separately and also hyphenated.  Can anyone explain
for me? >>

No, Vallotti and Young were two different people with two different
temperaments although the sound of either the Vallotti, The Young #1 or the
Vallotti-Young would be fairly similar when music is played.  The
Vallotti-Young is basically the same as the Vallotti but Young traded the
B-F# 5th which is pure in the Vallotti with the F-C 5th.  Most other
Well-Temperaments had F-C pure.  The Vallotti was an exception.  This made
the temperament easier to tune from a C fork but changed its sound very
little.

<< Secondly,  I learned many years ago that we hear no fundamental in the
lowest notes of pianos.  But I was under the impression that perhaps there
would be fundamental heard in the lowest notes of concert grands.  I had a
few minutes after the last tuning of a Steinway D that I prepared for a
concert, and used the RCT Pianalyzer to measure the harmonics of the lowest
octave.  I found that no fundamental was recorded until A1.  This means that
even on that piano there is no fundamental pitch heard on the entire first
octave of the piano.  Have any of you done any extensive research on this?
Is this true of most concert grands, or only on the one I happened to try
this on?  >>

Your trial might have only indicated that your equipment could not respond to
such a low frequency and did not necessarily mean that the frequency was not
present. Such low frequencies can be *felt* more than they can be heard.  The
instrument probably does produce those low frequencies.  If you can feel the
pulse generated by the lowest notes on the piano, it is producing those
frequencies.  Contrast that with a piano which has a very shallow sound or
better yet, with an electronic keyboard whose loudspeakers really are
incapable of producing that sound.

The SAT also has difficulty registering very low frequencies.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin