Two Questions in One Post

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:00:46 EDT

Ray asks:
<< the Valotti Temperament.  The RCT has a conversion to a temperament called
Valotti-Young.   Are these temperaments one and the same?  I have seen or
heard them referred to separately and also hyphenated.  Can anyone explain
for me?  >>

Greetings,
   The Valotti was the original, but it was based on F, making the F-A third
the smoothest.  Young transposed this to make the key of C the smoothest.
This is only a one step movement for the harmonic balance, and the for our
ears today, these two temperaments can usually be regarded as interchangable.

Regards,
Ed Foote
(and thanks, Ray, for the class plug,  Reno will be the last presentation of
this program for a little while since the recording projects are taking more
and more of the time from the crusade-- "so many temperaments, so little
time")