Two Questions in One Post

Ray T. Bentley Ray@Bentley.net
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 20:41:07 -0500

one and the same?  I have seen or heard them referred to separately and =
also hyphenated.  Can anyone explain for me?  (BTW, I saw Ed's class in =
KC, and thought it brilliant!)

Secondly,  I learned many years ago that we hear no fundamental in the =
lowest notes of pianos.  But I was under the impression that perhaps =
there would be fundamental heard in the lowest notes of concert grands.  =
I had a few minutes after the last tuning of a Steinway D that I =
prepared for a concert, and used the RCT Pianalyzer to measure the =
harmonics of the lowest octave.  I found that no fundamental was =
recorded until A1.  This means that even on that piano there is no =
fundamental pitch heard on the entire first octave of the piano.  Have =
any of you done any extensive research on this?  Is this true of most =
concert grands, or only on the one I happened to try this on?

Ray T. Bentley, RPT
Alton, IL