separated back

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:58:52 EDT

Sorry, Clyde, I thought everyone understood "It's (he's) dead, Jim!"
I guess I'm just showing my advanced age.  It's hard for me to believe that
there are adult piano technicians out there who probably were not even born
when that phrase was popular!    Sorry :(

Good pianos are made to last 50 years.  These were "war" pianos - built out
of whatever was available.  Does it also have plastic damper flanges?  If
this was a Steinway upright you might have half a chance but double the
liability.

There is usually a good reason why a piano falls apart structurally - like
maybe it wasn't put together right to begin with!  I have used aircraft
drills and long bolts and epoxy to repair split backs on 10 year old pianos
with cast iron plates (and no plastic flanges) with success.  I think it was
Everett that had that problem.  It is a lot of work as you must take the
tension off ALL the strings down to nothing.  It will take you a least two
day's work to try this "repair" and you will probably sweat bullets pulling
the tension back up waiting to hear the sound you never want to hear.

The worst part is that if you are successful and sell the piano, it may
still break - and then you have to refund the sales price long after you
have spent the money!  Better to spend a couple of days tuning and be able
to sleep at night. If you want to fix up a piano and sell it for a profit,
at least start with one that does not have severe structural damage.

One of the things that Pianotech can't help you with is learning when to
walk away.  Only grisly experience can teach that kind of lesson.  I
personally think aluminum is poor plate material, and the separation is too
great.  I consider a slightly opened crack repairable; a gap of 1/2 inch to
be a resurrection.  And besides, it probably has plastic damper flanges,
too, so don't even think about it!

Carol Beigel, RPT