Wurly Warranty Situation

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:44:14 -0500

List,

Query would a class on this subject be interesting in RENO?

I guess I am naive but I have always assumed that folks who buy the lowest
price stuff know they are getting lesser quality. I have run into some folks
that have deluded themselves into believing that they bought the best
quality for the least money, (WOW DID I GET A DEAL!!!) In some cases this
delusion was aided and abetted by a sales person whose ethics/knowledge of
product had room for improvement. Caveat emptor.
It seems to me that the time to warn a customer is prior to purchase, once
the sale is consummated it is about as easy to reverse as a dive off of the
high board. I constantly try to beat it into my head that my conception of
piano tone and touch (esoteric concepts at best) are not the absolute
definition of the art. I know what I like but I generally voice and adjust
touch to my customer's preference.
That said, someone asks me prior to purchase what they should consider in an
instrument, my opinion is available for a fee. I warn them, like my brother
warns his son, "You and I are going to have a long talk about this." Then,
if they choose the dark side, I give it my best shot to make it better. No
lectures, no repercussions, no I told you so (well maybe an eyebrow or two).
TECHNICAL PART AHEAD:
Terry, you probably already know this but if you want to troubleshoot the
false beats, the following helps me:
1) Isolate the problem- using a hammer shank, screwdriver, any implement of
destruction you have handy, immobilize the bridge pin by pressing down, play
the key and see if there is improvement.
2) Using the same procedure, check the non speaking portions of the string.
3) Be prepared to find that you need to seat the bridge pins, strings, etc
to eliminate some of the false beats. Some folks do this routinely but I am
basically lazy and only do it when I can localize the problem.
Dang, I better quit before I run out of paper, :)...

Hope this helps,
Dale
See ya'll in RENO!!
Dale Probst, RPT