Wurly Warranty Situation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:25:32 -0400

Hi List. I serviced a two-year-old Wurlitzer G153 yesterday. The woman
bought it in Kansas, and recently moved to the Tampa Bay area in Florida.
Her warranty card says to contact Baldwin Customer Service in one moves from
the area of purchase regarding any warranty claims. The warranty is 10 years
for parts and the labor required to install the part (or at least that is
what we decided it said).

My question is what constitutes a warranty claim.

1) Certainly her two rattling bass strings should be replaced - parts and
labor covered - right?

2) What about two bass notes where the partials are not even close. One is
unable to tune the bicord unisons beatless. Would that be covered by a
warranty?

3) When you depress key A1, the dampers for A1 AND G#1 raise. I have not yet
taken the action out. I can see the cause of this ranging from minor (too
wide a key end felt) to majorish (key needs to be replaced because of warp
or bad alignment problem with damper flanges, etc.). Again, whether it be
minor or major, I generally charge for my services, and it seems to me this
should be a warranty item. Would this likely be covered by warranty (unless
of course, a small christmas ornament is found stuck in there!)?

4) FALSE BEATS in tenor, treble, and hi treble GALORE! I'm talking starting
at A3 - wa, wa, wa, wa, wa. I tried to tune A4 to a fork - HA! No idea where
I set pitch. I'm not talking a slight lack of clarity. I'm taliking about
while tuning, forgetting that the piano has mega problems, and constantly
checking to make sure you have your mutes in because it sounds exactly like
you have two strings open and they are tuned several cents apart! - But no!
This amazing sound comes from one string alone! I worked on a few - just
pressing down on string with brass rod on bridge you could watch the string
go down a few tenths of a mm - but it generally did not help much - I don't
know if it has loose bridge pins or what - just that it sounds terrible.
Would pathetic conditions like these be covered in some way under a
warranty.

5) Hammers falling off. Warranty?

I don't work on many new pianos, so I don't know what is normally covered
under warranties. Is Roger out there??????? He has likely seen one of these!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com