bowing keyframe

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:44:03 -0600

Hi Elliot,
            As an addendum to what Jon has suggested.   If the frame is
really badly warped.
Alternate saw cuts on the top and bottom of the frame may be required.
A cut 1/3rd thro' the frame at the top of the crown of the warp. No veneer
insertion.  The weight of the action and cheek blocks will help to close
the kerf.
Secondly,  cut inside of the bow, and glue veneer as Jon has mentioned.
Some of these soft wood frames are very prone to some severe warps.
In some bad cases, the cuts need to be about 6" apart.
Hope this helps.
Roger

At 07:27 PM 09/10/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>    I have the good misfortune to be called back by a guy who has a Tokei 5'
>Grand.
>
>    I could not bed the keyframe it either bows in the middle or the ends, I
>can't remember which.  No small sanding of the frame could help.  I am
>wondering if this was ever done deliberately by the factory?  What could
>have caused it to warp?
>    Have any of you had this type of experience?  Aside from sanding, what
>is recommended to make the frame more level?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Hoping to make more improvements on this next week.
>
>Eliot

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213