bowing keyframe

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon, 09 Oct 2000 23:22:55 -0400

By making a saw cut on the concave side about one third the thickness
of the rail, a piece of veneer can be inserted into the kerf to straighten it
out. Also a tapered cut could be made and a long tapered lathe could be
inserted
to fine tune the degree of stress placed on that side, then trim the insert
flush to the
edges, only a dab of glue is needed on one side in the event future adjustments
are needed.  I think early Yamahas had this feature in the front rail.

Regards,

Jon Page

At 07:27 PM 10/09/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>     I have the good misfortune to be called back by a guy who has a Tokei
> 5' Grand.
>     I could not bed the keyframe it either bows in the middle or the ends, I
>can't remember which.  No small sanding of the frame could help.  I am
>wondering if this was ever done deliberately by the factory?  What could
>have caused it to warp?
>     Have any of you had this type of experience?  Aside from sanding, what
>is recommended to make the frame more level?
>Thanks,
>Hoping to make more improvements on this next week.
>Eliot

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net