Clean unisons

Pianogreig@AOL.COM Pianogreig@AOL.COM
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 20:27:52 EDT

For what it's worth --

I recently listened to a CD of piano and orchestra.  The piano had a lovely
clean & sonorous tone but when playing with other instruments it melded so
completely that it lost it's identity (& this was a piano concerto after
all).  Although the instrument was not identified in the notes, I guessed it
was a Bosendorfer & later listened to a disc with what was obviously a
Steinway which bit through the density of instrumental sound.

I also heard Garick Ohlsson in solo recital  two consecutive years - the
first on a Bosendorfer Imperial which tone barely made it to the balcony &
left me struggling to stay awake & the second on a badly tuned house Steinway
which absolutely blazed & thrilled to the core!

Perhaps the producer/pianist chose the wrong type of piano for the project
and/or studio acoustics.

I too love really clean unisons; some pianos can be tuned really "pure" and
others never will be. Detuning a purely capable piano doesn't do it for me.
This is a determining factor in choosing what type of instrument one prefers.
 I've found many pianists love "sizzle" over cleanliness.

Bruce Greig