about TUNELAB

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 05 Oct 2000 19:22:42 -0400

Baoli,
    Don't be afraid to change the curve. It's really not as complicated
as it seems. I will include a copy of the post I just sent to Les
Bartlett about the same thing. The author Bob Scott sent me a great "how
to" file because like you, I was afraid to do anything too. I hope my
description copied below helps you some.

Greg

begin copied note;

Les,
    First, Thanks for your post! I've been hoping you were keeping at
it. I
started using Tunelab after making it known on this list that i wouldn't
use
it until it was easier to use. I didn't use those words exactly but I
did
feel that while rich in programming, it was just too much for me to
understand and use on a regular basis. That's when Bob Scott probably
threw
up his hands in disgust :-) and wrote the program to include a template
use in helping set your tuning curve. Being rather simple minded myself,
still use that today. For me it's easy, understandable, and quick. I
almost
never get sour results when I'm careful enough to get good measurements
start with.
    In your post below you mention pressing ALT + C. What does that do?
Have
you tried after measuring all the notes you want (I use all the C's)
pressing
F1? This gives you the graphical editor with some points on a blank page

representing the notes you measured. If you then press the letter "T"
you
will have a template tuning curve superimposed upon those sampled notes
you
had at first. All I do at that point is to pull down A0 (the left most
black
square in the curve) down so that it's where I like it and I pull C8 up
where I like it and I'm ready to go. Note: you must go into the options
page
and set the kinds of intervals you wish to favor like octaves, double
octaves, fifths,  and the like. This is found with the OPT button in the

graphical tuning editor (F1) window. In the options window I have
checked;
single octaves, double octaves @4/1,  Other intervals @5th 3/2,
Inharmonicity at breaks, Auto save on every move, Force handles at
breaks,
and auto A4=0  . You could try these settings or choose your own. The
reason
I mention these is that different settings will have a different looking

display in the graphical editor wndow.
    Once i have the measured notes and the template up there I drag A0
down
until the green square that is at the end of the bottom parallel green
line
is over the first black square of the high treble curve. I leave that
there
and go to the high treble or C8 and drag that up so that the treble
template
line intersects as many of my measured "C" samples as possible or I will

accept equidistant from the line. Try it this way and tell me what you
think.
I find quite acceptable results if I'm careful about measuring in the
first
place. I also stop the strobe (or try to) on every note. Mind you I did
not
remove my ears and put the in a box until I was done either. I think if
you
use this method it will give you a much better regard for the program.

Greg Newell

P.S. I found all this out from Bob Scott writing a lengthy e-mail
describing
all this stuff in much better detail and understanding. I will try now
find it and send it too as an attachment. I you have an attachment
you'll
have no problem figuring this out. If you find a big attachment with
this
e-mail,  That's it!!!!

me

P.P.S. I can't find it but perhaps if you wrote directly to Bob Scott,
he may
still have it.