Clean unisons

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu, 05 Oct 2000 10:05:46 -0400

Hi Linda
     Perhaps the "too clean" unisons are actually a piano related thing
since the piano determine the clarity of unisons attainable.    I've
always suspected that the celebrated characteristic NY Steinway sound is
a natural uneasy tension in the tone caused from just the right amount
of fault, (false strings, inharmonicity, duplexes, damping deficiencies,
etc.).  Without sin, a piano sounds too pure,  lacking soul, electronic,
dead, too even, too predictable.   Is perfect really what we love to
hear and play?   Can a piano be too perfect?  We have photographs yet
still love paintings.
-Mike