Aural?

Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:05:36 +0200

Dale, I think you missed the point of this thread, probably in part due to the
digression David I. and myself got into, maybe not though.

Gina raised a to my mind of thinking rather interesting er... philosophical
point about the matter. And it boils down to the idea that tuning is in the end
a concious effort in which our knowledge and intellect are the real
determinants. We use an ETD to get us close, maybe even right on, but its the
ear that ends up judgeing.

She asked the question,  how can we tune, except aurally ? I raised the
posibility of a deaf person (a tuner who had at some point lost his hearing) who
having had previous years of experience with ETDs and an extremely well
developed understanding of tuning theory could possibly manage it. Much in the
sense as Bethoven and his 9th. There at some point in some of our lives begins
to develop a kind of "inner ear" if you get my meaning. It is our intellect and
knowledge of what we are doing that defines "tuning".

No one on this last thread (by my reading of the posts anyways) discounted the
use of ETD's in any sense.  By all means use them, especially use them to make
more concious the process of tuning in your mind.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.