aural - sounds nice?

Jay Mercier jaymercier@hotmail.com
Wed, 04 Oct 2000 19:47:48 GMT

It
>doesn't take much to drift away from ET. I'd bet that most instruments
>tuned
>in an hour or so aren't as close to ET as the tuner intended.
>
>Are you sure it's REALLY equal temperament that sounds so good?
>
>Ron Koval
>Chicagoland

After tuning all the pianos I've serviced in the last 5 months using Bill
Bremmer's EBVT (I requested the tuning process from him, so I call it his),
I have found that my repeat customers' pianos are not even close to what I
perceived as equal temperament 6 months or a year ago.  My so called equal
temperaments were an attempt to be "equal," but were something else. In
fact, I've even run across some prior tunings of mine that were closer to
what I'm tuning now - the Equal Beating Victorian Temperament.  And that's
because it simply sounded better.  I remember ignoring the rules and simply
listened.

As far as equal temperament sounding good - I recently serviced a Yamaha C-5
on the concert stage that was tuned one month prior to my service call, and
I would have to say it was the finest, most accurate equal temperament I've
heard in 7 years of tuning.  I didn't touch the temperament, tightened up
some unisons and presented the bill.

Anything less, I would have performed what I think sounds best in my short 7
years of tuning - the EBVT.

Jay Mercier
Glenwood, MN