felt knuckles????

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 22:39:43 -0600

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000 08:39:15 -0700 "Delwin D Fandrich"
<pianobuilders@olynet.com> writes:
> John,
>
> Yes, Steinway did install a solid felt knuckle on, apparently, a
> very few
> actions.  From what little I have been able to learn about these
> over the
> years, this was a relatively short-lived test run as part of their
> response
> to the ongoing shortage of buckskin at the time.
>

> So, the bottom line...  what are these things like now?
*Round and firm.
 Do you know
> anything
> of their service history?
**Only that I have serviced the action with teflon and that they are
quiet.  Not really a problem to regulate with consistant results.
 How much use have they received?
**I can only judge that by the wear on the leather knuckles on the same
instrument - as they are badly worn.  The current owner is a heavy
classical pianist  -  and a very good one at that.
 How is
> their
> shape?
**As above - ROUND
 How have they worn over the years?
**Evidently much better than the leather ones on the same action.
 Are they noisy?
Not at all.
 Do they
> squeak?
**NO!
In
> other words, from what you can see now -- how have they worked over
> the
> years and can you compare their service to the leather covered
> knuckles on
> the same action?
**In terms of wear - better.  However, their diameter is larger and I
would like to see a consistant diameter of the knuckles on the entire
action to make a more fair judgement in this matter.

> What a wonderful opportunity to learn something! I'm looking forward
> anything you can tell us about these knuckles.
**That action is coming into my shop tomorrow morning.  If there is
ANYTHING that I can look for or determine for you, please let me know.

John R. Fortiner