Buckskin

Tue, 3 Oct 2000 19:43:58 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert A. Anderson" <fndango@azstarnet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 02, 2000 1:09 PM
Subject: Buckskin

-----------------------------------

> I thought buckskin came from deer. My idea of cowhide is something a lot
> stiffer. I thought that the knuckles I have seen in some late '50s
> pianos were cowhide because of a scarcity of buckskin. So somebody set
> me straight, please.
>
> Bob Anderson
> Tucson, AZ

Buckskin does come from deer. And, I guess, a few other similar creatures
that we ask to give up their lives for the good of our musical enjoyment.

However, cowhide of adequate quality can be processed into a reasonable
facsimile, I am told. At the time both were apparently in short supply.

Del