Choosing Steinway D

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 15:25:59 -0500

I will be at Steinway Hall in a few weeks and I am helping a church choose a
piano.  I have been to the factory and Steinway Hall and I'm familiar with
what I will be hearing as far as differences between pianos, but my question
is: What, if any, _other_ things should I be looking at and possibly
listening to to help me choose the "best" one. I understand that prep work
may still need to be done to improve each one and that further voicing will
change them.  It will be in a 1500 seat church with amplification used. I'm
wondering if certain aspects of the manufacturing process, fit of parts,
condition of piano in it's new condition may help me to narrow down the
field.  Again, anything other than how they sound/play on the floor.  I hope
my question is clear.  Thanks.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter