Aural?

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 07:05:39 -0700

Richard,

Sort of a "if a tree falls in a forest without a human around is there a
sound"?  Going back to a  comment you made earlier about the noisy
environment experience and how they wanted an "ear tuner".  I simply reject
someone who uses a tuning fork as an ear tuner.  So many times I come behind
"fork tuners" or "tuners with folks" who have left the treble extremely flat
or the entire piano below pitch.  There is nothing better, IMHO, as an ETD &
the ears (hey that would be cool, an ETC with ears).  You can't beat that
combination with a "certain something".  When the piano is tuned for a
Master Tuning for a PTG tuning test by 3 RPTs, I can quarantee you they
don't decide when its correct by a "certain something" or "sounds just
right" criteria.  They use traditional aural tests...guess what?  A SAT and
the RCT can get a 100% on all the sections just by stopping the lights.  The
stability section is another thing all together and where the tuner is
exposed if un-prepared.  What does this all mean?  Nothing in the real
world.  There will be lousy tuners and good tuners.  Some will have a tuning
fork and some won't.  If I was looking for a technician to help me in my
work I would want someone who learned to tune with a fork but was now using
a ETD and their ears when appropriate.

Richard B. wrote:

>if you cant hear a thing, their is no sense of its sound.

David Ilvedson, RPT

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.