Days

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 01:46:19 -0500

I used head phone type hearing protectors like those worn at airports by the
personel who direct  jets to the arriving gates.  Inside I put the little
round walkman type headphones.  I carried a battery powered pre-amp or  the
Korg "through" provided it, I can't remember; or plugged directly into
Helpensteil or other pickup for acoustic pianos if equipped.  I did
experiment with magnetic pickups but as I was aural I simply went through
the amps provided esp for the tuner (very considerate) or the board. (It
helped to carry an extension for your "headphones")
    The outdoor concerts usually  had me come early in the morning and tune,
and then check the piano after it had been moved to its position on stage.
I had 10 to 15 min for the touch up.   The biggest problems were from heat
from the sun or stage lighting but they usually had "space blankets".   They
learned that in Phoenix where the stage temp reached 110 one nice day in
early June.
    One time in the hustle and bustle of A Day on the Green, a temperamet
strip got left in a CP70.  The roadie found it but fortunatly did not pull
it out but did he had plenty to say about the #@X!%^ tuner.... until after
the set the piano player remarked how it sounded different but he liked
t!.  ---ric

Don Rose rote...
> I had to develope a strategy for *very* high noise enviroments when I
tuned
> at an outdoor music festival. I had to prepare pianos while the previous
> group was performing and the sound reinforcement topped out at over
100,000 watts.
> I used a magnetic pick up input into an accu tuner and took the filtered
> out put and amplifed it, sent the signal to a *sealing* type of head
> phone--and wore earplugs to protect myself from the sound level. It worked
> very well and I could clear unisons aurally at any partial I chose to
> listen to.
>
> I believe this stragtegem might have worked in your *impossible*
> environment. And I certainly would have tried.
>

> At 12:09 PM 10/1/00 +0200, you wrote:
> >   Richard Moody wrote:    MOST of the loud music shows were professional
and considerate > >  It was the