Price markup

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 15:04:11 -0700

The prices you show a customer are "retail" prices.  This is sort like going
to the store
and expecting the listed prices to be their cost...

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Robert A. Anderson
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 10:27 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Price markup

I thought that the important part of Susan's post was

" Not that we shouldn't
>mark up parts prices, but we shouldn't need to hide the fact that we
>are doing it."

That makes good sense to me. If I want to hide what I'm doing from my
customer, then I should be asking myself about my motives. If I have a
customer who doesn't think I should sell parts to them at a profit, then
we don't have to do business. My life is simpler when I don't have to
keep track of too many secrets.

It seems to me that wholesale prices should be in a price list. Prices
become obsolete faster than catalogs. The practice of listing twice the
wholesale price is just an added confusion and serves no useful purpose
for me.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ

P.S. I listen to National Public Radio, but I wouldn't advocate "getting
rid" of Rush Limbaugh. I don't approve of him, but if we started
"getting rid" of people we don't like then the fundamental thing might
apply: "What goes around comes around."