Aural?

Mon, 02 Oct 2000 17:40:20 +0200

Eugenia Carter wrote:

> All,
>
> Been thinking about Kristinn's original post and it prompts me to ask:
>
> How can anyone tune any way except aurally, no matter what tools one uses to
> assist oneself?
>
> Gina

Gina, we quickly get into the question of how to define a tuning when we ask
such questions. Before answering we need to define the ground rules. Given my
own idea of what a tuning is and isnt, It would feasably be possible to tune a
piano with and ETD with the tuner being totally deaf. But that tuner would have
had to have at some time not been deaf, been an excellent tuner who was very
adept with ETD's and gone way out of his way to equate the visual with the
aural. Even then he/she would always be missing that certain something that only
the ear can give you to be assured it "sounds" just right.

An ETD can not hear... it can only measure.
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.