"Pedals"

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:15:07 +0000

At 16:06 29.11.2000 +0000, you wrote:
>Yo, you americans, you!
>I work at a place part time that has
>nothing to do with pianos (ecept the
>fact that I tune the ones here that they
>have) but have come across a
>"thingy" when spending time here. There has
>been some pianotuners/techs here
>before me who have put some
>wheels on a piano and Ive even seen
>this thing being done with other
>pianos/grands which iiiiiis: the damn
>wheels are put on too high! That
>means that the pedals hang too high
>and the player has to put his foot up
>too much AND all of this obviously
>puts some unnecessary pressure on
>the pedals . The musician feels
>uncomfy and the piano/grand is
>damaged in the long run. To me,
>who is a newbie in the business see
>this fault at once and I am amazed that this
>is being done by so called
>"proffecionals" (<---said in a voice
>like "what IS the world coming
>too?!?!?"). Do you ppl. have any
>"general" tip/idea as to how many cm the
>pedals "should" be seperated from
>the floor? To me, I guess, I use my
>common sence but IS there actually
>somekind of mesurement you have
>here that you use often?

Hi Maria, jag er inte amerikansk men, here goes

Was that a poem or something?

You know, I just had that problem right now.
Actually a 60 year old upright that had been placed on caster cups.  Itīs a
common problem I think, especially when grands are put on high spiders for
moving.

I havenīt thought about this in numbers, (but 503/247thīs of an inch might
be alright :-), sorry, making fun of Americans.)

Make sure that the bench is high enough, that can be a problem.
Make sure the pianist isnīt sitting too close.

Itīs possible to meddle around with felt at the top of the pedal, but that
can get ugly.

Yeah, this is something Iīd like to hear about from you more experiencedses

If all else fails you can drill big holes in the floor and put the grand
down into them...

>Cu,
>Maria

Copper,