space allowed for strings in vertical piano

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:59:24 -0800

I'm trying to figure out the maximum possible A1 string length in a
vertical cabinet of a given size -- Is there a way I can find out the
minimum room necessary between the top of the cabinet & the V-bar (allowing
for room for the tuning pins & pressure bar), and the bottom of the case
and the bridge & hitch pins?  Also, what are the advantages and
disadvantages of placement of the bass bridge on various sections of a
piano? like how much room to leave between the right edge of the case and
the right edge of the bridge/hitch pins?

For example -- in a 51" vertical (from the bottom of the casters to the top
of the lid) -- take 1" each for the casters, bottom panel and lid, down to
48".  Subtract 2" for the tuning pins at A1 down to 46".  Another 3"
subtraction for the bass bridge to the bottom of the piano brings it down
to 43".  As for the horizontal -- let's say the bass bridge is from A1 to
A#26 (as it is in our Hallet & Davis) -- let's guess about 14" horizontal,
then allow 5" between the bridge and the edge.  If the piano is, say, 60"
wide, allowing for 1" each for the left and right sides of the cabinet,
that's 60 - 2 - 5 - 14 = 39.  The square root of the sum of 39 squared and
43 squared is about 58".  Baldwin's 52" Model 600 has a 54" string length.
Note that the above paragraph is an EXAMPLE and in NO WAY represents an
ideal or even a good way of determining maximum string length in a
piano.  I would appreciate your suggestions for finding ways to do it
without actually measuring pianos.