Steam voicing on concert instruments

Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:49:35 +0100

Kristinn Leifsson wrote:

> 'Ello Richud,
>
> >Steam voicing is a relatively new approach, and it is becoming interesting
> >enough
> >that people like Roger have refined the idea to the point where he feels
> >confident
> >enough to start teaching classes about it. I have used steam voicing for
> >some time
> >now and have found less and less need for the needle as I refine my own
> >technique.
>
> Sorry if this has been been discussed, but what about for voicing TOP of
> the class instruments?

I really see no problem here. I am not sure how this steam would work on
laquered hammers, but I have used it very successfully indeed on some really
good instruments. In particular, a Bluthner of newer date, heavily used at the
UiB which blew the socks off the fellow that comes from Olso each year to check
on the three Steinways we have here. Last time he was here the teachers were
unsatisfied with the intonation on one of the C's we have.. so I did some very
carefull and very modest steam voicing on that instrument... Suddenly this was
a much better instrument then the other C (according to the students and
teachers). I personally simply loved the result on the C. Got this super range
from soft to hard play, minimized the duplex whistle quite a bit and got the
sense that you could almost hear the spring in the hammers.

Hammers are in the end hammers. If steam voicing can work on a Samick, there
should be no reason why it can not work on the best of pianos... we just need
to find the appropriate method for use.

> >As time goes by I think you will find others refining further on this
> >theme and
> >steam voicing may very well even replace needleing as standard voicing
> >proceedure.
>
> >Flame suits are not neccessary... grin.. I am inflammable..
>
> That very well may be, but are you immune to noxious fumes?

Well, I live through my own gas....grin.. so I think I can survive most any
such fumes.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.