Steam voicing ?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:05:38 -0600

Hi Dave,
             Most Samick's respond well to steam. get the tone down from
the shoulders before tackling the crown with a light pass.
If they have been heavily juiced I wet needle them.  No I'm not crazy.
Really soak them in acetone wait 15min to get the old juice plastic.  Re
wet with acetone and deep needle with three needles at 1/16" intervals 1/8"
from the crown down to about 10 o'clock.
The needles will slide in quite easily.
You can tell if the hammers are juiced. 1. It's hard to penetrate.  2. with
drawing the needles, they tend to come out with a pop, as if they are stuck
in there.
Hope this helps.
Roger

At 10:04 PM 28/11/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Roger and all, sorry if this is redundant but I've been popping in
>and out of this thread. I saw today a fresh out of 3 years storage
>Samick grand, installed in a new house with marble floors and plaster
>walls. Besides being 70c flat it is horribly bright. The treble
>hammers are so hard they are beyond the 'hard rubber' and approaching
>the ceramic stage, no give at all under fingers or needles. Is steam
>a viable option here? I have yet to experiment with steam at all
>except for opening joints and bending wood. I've got no idea what was
>initially used on these hammers, they are hardly worn, and anything
>that might open them up without replacing (although that would be my
>#1 choice) would please the customer no end.
>--
>Dave

>Dave Doremus RPT
>
>New Orleans