: how high(low) do you go?

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:42:31 EST

Mark,

As a professional brass player for the past 35 years, I have encountered more
than enough organs in large (often well-off) churches that were below A440
sufficiently to cause major problems.  Even if one has sufficient tuning
slide range to accomplish lowering the instrument to that pitch, it is
frequently touch and go being able to adjust one's internal clock, so to
speak, to a point that it allows one to stay in tune with the organ and other
players at that pitch level.  Fiendishly difficult.  Woodwind instruments
simply do NOT have the possibility to adjust that far without major revisions
to the instruments.  And if strings are involved, might as well forget even
trying, since reducing tension that far on the instruments makes them sound
exceptionally funky....most will simply ignore the instrument and play at
their usual level, which is an..er..interesting sound!

There used to be a number of left-over 19th c. organ emplacements in the
Chicago area that were routinely found to be about a half step low......most
couldn't be raised to A440 owing to the length of pipes (without major
overhaul to adjust lengths).   Luckily, by this time, most of those are no
longer serviceable and have been replaced/rebuilt/remanufactured to current
standards.

As for an instrument that is that high in pitch--it will cause at LEAST as
many problems for the other players as one that low, and maybe more, since
there is usually more room to tune downwards than upwards.  But in any case,
it will be most uncomfortable, and they will get what they deserve for
leaving it in that condition, if that is what they elect to do.

PLEASE try to do everyone a favor and get it back to A440....442 we handle
regularly, but 440 is just FINE!!!!

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL

P.S.      MANY musicians will be glad you asked!