reply to Susan on yamaha hmrs

Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:22:50 +0100

vanbrussel wrote:

> I actualy react to this subject because Yamaha never uses steam, only
> needles.
> There seems to be a voicing difference between America and Europe?

No... not really... and the basic idea of useing some form of water to soften
hammers is not really new at all. Many old timers in Europe know of the water /
alcohol treatment for old packed in hammers.

Steam voicing is a relatively new approach, and it is becoming interesting enough
that people like Roger have refined the idea to the point where he feels confident
enough to start teaching classes about it. I have used steam voicing for some time
now and have found less and less need for the needle as I refine my own technique.

As time goes by I think you will find others refining further on this theme and
steam voicing may very well even replace needleing as standard voicing proceedure.
Flame suits are not neccessary... grin.. I am inflammable..

Americans may have a tendency to experiment more freely with things then Europeans
do... but I know several over here that are also checking out the possibilities.
All of them are useing something close to Rogers or my own method, ironing in the
steam with an electric hammer iron.
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.