sluggish aeolian spinet action

Bud Schwab budschwab@earthlink.net
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:07:44 -0800

Hi Eliot,

Back in the fifties I made a littl gadget  we called a shocker for sluggish
flanges.  I was in the radio repair business so I took a filament
transformer that put out a low voltage at a high amperage and put a thin
piece of metal on the end of the two wires and when you touch the two metal
pieces to the ends of a flange pin it sends current through it and heats it
up.  It works really great and seems to be more long lasting than some of
the chemicals that have been used.  I showed it at the San Fransisco
convention in the fifties and since then Francis Mahaffy and several other
PTG members have made some.  If you can get hold of one of those they
really work great.  The metal strips have to be quite thin so they will fit
in between the flanges.  I have been retired for some time now and have
gotten rid of any of them that I had or I could send you one.

Good luck.

Bud

At 07:13 PM 11/27/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi LIst,
>
>     I have to work on a Hallet & Davis Aeolian spinet.  The action is very
>sluggish and it isn't because of the keys which would have been an easy fix.
>Any recommendations and/or short cuts? Is protek recommended or something
>else like silicon/naptha that baldwin recommends.
>     Would the real solution be to reflange all the culprits, this isn't an
>easy task being a spinet.
>     What about using heat on the action centers, with a modified heat gun?
>
>     Any and all suggestions would help thanks,
>
>Eliot Lee

                                                 Bud Schwab
W 6 Z Y P
Malibu, california