Steam revisited

Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:00:32 +0100

I would like to see a picture of this. The more I use steam, the less I
think needles are neccessary.. or even desirable for that matter. Yes I
know all the arguments about needling... was even interested to compare Dan
M's posting recently with other highly respected "authorities" I have
listened to through the years. Fact is I have heard just about as much
differing opinions about what needling is about and how it affects the felt
as I have heard technicians talk about it. So...with all due respect... I
think its time to look one heck of a lot closer at steam.

One HUGE attraction right off the bat about steam... it does not tear any
fibers. Used judiciously it is more forgiving, and after a couple
treatments my experience tells me it holds longer. I also would take issue
with the view that one is not able to achieve as great a dynamic range with
steaming as with needling. I have seen the opposite to be true, and if any
given technician has not this experience, I would be tempted to wonder just
how much they have experimented with steam.

A tool that could be used to better direct the steam is high on my wish
list. This would be a time saver for sure.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.