Fazer bridge?

Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:42:56 +0100

Kristinn Leifsson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tuned a Fazer piano for a friend a little over a month ago.  The piano´s
> not old, and an overall O.K one.
> Now the mid range and treble are just under A 439, but the bass is still up
> to pitch.

Typical for this time of year up here Kristin. You would do wisely to keep
track of daily readings of relative humidity. Its getting colder by the week up
here, and dryness comes with that in our part of the world. I have to fight the
pitch drop daily at the UiB. I get to several of our pianos every 2 weeks or so
and I notice that whatever movement there is in in the down direction now. It
will be the opposite come May.

> I´ve been told the bridge might be loose.

Not likely on a newer instrument... but who knows.

> Is there anything else you can think of, and remedies for the problem?

Damp Chaser... works great..

> Actually I had a spinet go south on me once, but I don´t think it´s a
> similar case here.
> It was when I was studying in the U.S.
> I had tuned it.  After a while it had been moved, just a little bit, and
> the bass went either way sharp or flat, I don´t remember.
> I was preparing to tune it again, we had to move it first, and I checked it
> out on the middle of the floor, and the bass was back to where it had been!

Pianos are indeed strange animals.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.