restringing question

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:14:17 -0600

>I'm curious -- How easy/hard is it to change the number of strings per note
>on a few notes when you're restringing a piano (but not replacing the plate
>(of course!) or pinblock)?

It's mechanically easier to go from trichord to bichord, and from bichord
to monochord, than to add strings simply because it's easier to not use an
existing tuning pin hole than to find a place to add one where no such
place probably exists. Then you'll have to change the bridge, and very
possibly relocate hitch pins. That's just the mechanics though, and becomes
pretty obvious when you get into it. What you need first, before you change
a thing, is a revised stringing scale to really know *If* and *why* these
or any other changes need to be made in the first place.

"Beware of shooting in the dark. Your foot's out there too, and you could
hit it as easily as not."
                          -------- Oscar the Gimp ----------

Ron N